I have decided to change my voxel engine from being an "infinite" 2D plane, to being a bounded 2D region, which I will assert as being a "planet".
this basically consisted of adding wrap-around, and generating a topographical map for the world.
currently, the world size is fairly small, roughly a space about the size of the surface of Phobos, or otherwise, about 64km around (65536 meters).
an issue with planets:
there is no really obvious "good" way to map a 2D plane onto a sphere.
some people try, but things get complicated.
I took the easy route though, and simply made it wrap around, effectively making the ground-level version of the planet have a torus as its topology.
then, for those who notice that the ground-level view of the planet is geometrically impossible, I can be like "actually, the planet is a Clifford Torus", and the spherical view represents the part of the torus passing through normal 3D space...
kind of a hand-wave, but oh well...
meanwhile, went and threw together an implementation of the Apple Video codec (FOURCC='rpza').
I was thinking "you know, Apple Video and DXT1 are pretty similar...".
basically, they are sufficiently similar to where moderately fast direct conversion between them is possible.
granted, the size/quality tradeoff for this codec isn't particularly good.
while I was implementing support for the codec, I did add alpha-support, so this particular variant supports transparent pixels.
I am decoding frames from a test video at around 432 Mpix/s, or a 320x240 test video decoding at around 5700 frames/second. the above is with a vertical flip as a post-step (omitting the flip leaves the decoder running at 470 Mpix/s, and 6130 frames/second).
and, then even as fast as it is going, checking in the profiler reveals a spot which is taking a lot of cycles, causing me to be like "MSVC, FFS!!"
0xfe08c6a mov edx,00000001h BA 01 00 00 00 0.44537419
0xfe08c6f imul eax,edx,06h 6B C2 06
0xfe08c72 mov [ebp-44h],eax 89 45 BC 0.21256495
0xfe08c75 cmp [ebp-44h],10h 83 7D BC 10
0xfe08c79 jnb $+04h (0xfe08c7d) 73 02 1.38335919
0xfe08c7b jmp $+07h (0xfe08c82) EB 05 0.19569471
0xfe08c7d call $+00018ce1h (0xfe2195e) E8 DC 8C 01 00
0xfe08c82 mov ecx,[ebp-44h] 8B 4D BC
0xfe08c85 mov [ebp+ecx-14h],00h C6 44 0D EC 00 0.25305352
0xfe08c8a mov edx,00000001h BA 01 00 00 00 0.50273299
0xfe08c8f imul eax,edx,07h 6B C2 07
0xfe08c92 mov [ebp-3ch],eax 89 45 C4 0.30703825
0xfe08c95 cmp [ebp-3ch],10h 83 7D C4 10
0xfe08c99 jnb $+04h (0xfe08c9d) 73 02 1.26189351
0xfe08c9b jmp $+07h (0xfe08ca2) EB 05 0.2598016
0xfe08c9d call $+00018cc1h (0xfe2195e) E8 BC 8C 01 00
0xfe08ca2 mov ecx,[ebp-3ch] 8B 4D C4
0xfe08ca5 mov [ebp+ecx-14h],00h C6 44 0D EC 00 0.00337405
which is actually, pretty much, just plain ridiculous...
yes, the above was for debug code...
but, there is presumably some limit to how wacky code built in debug mode should get.
the implementation of Apple Video was extended slightly, with this extended version hereby dubbed BTIC1C.
the primary additions are mostly alpha support and some LZ77 related features.