I wanted to start off this journal series with an introduction to PixelNAUTS and LOST ORBIT.
PixelNAUTS, is an independent game studio based out of St. Catharines, Canada. Founded by game industry vets sick of working for the man, PixelNAUTS was formed with the need to create and entertain. PixelNAUTS is currently made up of four full time employees and several contractors all passionate about making games for the sake of games.
We started PixelNAUTS over three years ago after quitting our jobs at a AAA studio. Our initial team consisted entirely of environment artists so we did what artists do best, we teamed up with other companies and made their games gorgeous. We started off by co-developing Raccoon Rising with Toronto based Romper Games, a vertical platformer for iOS and Android. Following Raccoon Rising we spent some time working on small indie games and side projects, we then developed a partnership with Montreal based Compulsion Games to help create Contrast. For the next year and a half we worked hand in hand with the studio to bring Contrast to life, we dedicated ourselves to the project and didn't let up until it was beautiful! Contrast was praised for its visuals and unique gameplay mechanics when it released for PC and Consoles in November of 2013.
Over the years of working on other companies projects we held on to our original vision of starting PixelNAUTS, to develop our own games. We finally realized this dream with LOST ORBIT, a fast paced, arcade game. LOST ORBIT began a while ago with a simple idea, an astronaut lost in deep space with only the use of his jet pack to find his way home. After a year of development, LOST ORBIT has come a long way and has evolved into so much more, the following is an overview of the game.
Stranded after his ship is destroyed in deep space, Harrison, a lowly maintenance worker and our hero, must struggle to find his way home...
LOST ORBIT centers around the exploration of space. Players take control of a lone astronaut (Harrison) who sets off on a dangerous journey to rejoin his civilization, armed with only an improvised set of equipment and a relentless spirit. Without the help of his ship, Harrison will need to use the gravitational forces of planets to navigate and propel himself through space.
Set in a world rich with comedy and tragedy, LOST ORBIT is a game filled with risk, loneliness, wonder, and death.
- Explore 40 levels set across 4 unique solar systems on your perilous journey home.
- Each level features a detailed ranking system and time trial mode.
- Choose and upgrade your set of abilities to customize Harrison as you see fit through a light RPG system.
- Boost, swim, bounce, leap and teleport your way through a myriad of obstacles.
- Simple and intuitive controls make the game easy to pick up, yet surprisingly deep.
- Balanced between tense technical moments and cathartic graceful flight, LOST ORBIT is a game that is instantly immersive and satisfying to play.
- Die alone in space; where no one will know of your struggle.
LOST ORBIT is also currently on Steam Greenlight and we would love your support and vote!