My copy of the games came from the "Lost Treasures of Infocom", volumes 1 and 2. I think I still have the floppy disks around somewhere. The official list of games has 35 canonical Infocom games. Right away I'm going to rule out three of the late games, Journey, Arthur, and Shogun, for a variety of semi-lame excuses:
- They featured heavy illustration, rather than strictly text based (especially Journey, which apparently can be played without keyboard at all).
- They aren't part of my Lost Treasures collections.
- They are reviewed quite poorly (except for Journey).
- I already have enough of these games to play!
I'm also going to rule out Sherlock, based on the "developed by Challenge Inc" tagline; Infocom was just the publisher.
So, that leaves me with 31 games. Prior to today, I had completed 13 of them. Let's make a list, in order of best to worst. I should note that this is a bit speculative (and very subjective!) as it has been decades since I played some of these, but based on memory:
Played Games, Best to Worst:
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Zork III
- Zork II
- Zork I
- Plundered Hearts
- The Leather Goddesses of Phobos
Games to Play:
- Beyond Zork
- Zork Zero
- A Mind Forever Voyaging
- The Witness
- Hollywood Hijinx
- Nord and Bert
- The Lurking Horror
- Border Zone
Next up, Infidel!