Back to basics again and have:
- modded the level editor to work with 3D levels again
- got the editor exporting the physics shapes and a single mesh for the level
- got the game loading the physics shapes into a physics system
- got the game loading and displaying arbirtray static meshs
- got the beginnings of an entity system in place so can move the capsule around with the keys (no collisions yet)
Next up will be to reintegrate the physics system and rebuild the character controller. Then the integration of moving platforms will be tackled straight away, without worrying about anything else until that is working.
This time, I'm staying focused on 3D platform game mechanics and not getting distracted by gimmicks. Once I have a solid base, I can start to think about unique selling points, not before.