• entries
    437
  • comments
    1000
  • views
    335832

Post Mortem: Personal Labor Day "Game Jam" - Day 2

Sign in to follow this  

657 views

Day 2



I started day 2 pleased with that I had a playable game at the end of the first day, but it wasn't finished yet. Cracking on, I set myself some goals for the day. The first three were continuations from the first day.

[indent=1]? Add "game over" detection (no more moves) & message

[indent=1]? Add game reset and "new game" logic

[indent=1]? Add scoring + display of scoring on screen

[indent=1]? Add high score and score load/save

[indent=1]? Add win condition (2048 tile) & message display
[indent=1]? Clean up graphics
[indent=1]? Improve user interface
[indent=1]? Add sounds
[indent=1]? Create Android build (stretch)


Game Over



Implementing this was pretty simple. For the game to be lost, you have to satisfy two conditions.

  1. There are no empty tiles on the board
  2. You cannot squash any tiles in any direction

I added this by keeping track of the number of occupied tiles on the board. Whenever one was squashed, it went down and one spawned, it went up. Simple. To check for "no tiles empty", it was a case of providing a property which took the total tile count and subtracted the occupied count. I added some unit tests around this to make sure the counts were ok. I'm glad I did, as I refactored something later and this broke in a subtle way..

The second check for a game over condition is the CanISquash? condition. I implemented this by duplicating the squash routines and made them return true if they would squash. This was a bit of a hack, as I should really have refactored the squashing to take a flag so that I didn't have the copy paste everywhere. I don't like code duplication, and having my unit tests for squashing should let me refactor this pretty quickly.

With the game over recognised, I needed to add the concept of "game state". I added this to my player component, but I could easily have added it to a new component. I had two states at this point.public enum TileGameState{ Playing, GameOver,}
Adding the game over message was also simple to begin with. I created a GuiTextLabel class and a GuiRenderingService which took this label and printed the contents to the screen. I implemented a GuiService (the name sucks) which kept track of the game state and used it to modify the visibility of the text label. _gameOverLabel.Visible = (_player.State == TileGameState.GameOver);
This would be the start of my "battle" with the UI that took up a bunch of unexpected time.


New Game



I added a new state to my game state machine, "NewGame" which leaves us with:public enum TileGameState{ NewGame, Playing, GameOver,}
I hooked up the Spacebar key to be recognised during the game state and reset us to the new game state.

So the state transition of my game looks like.New Game --> Playing --> Game Over --> New Game
Starting a new game currently involves several things: