it has been quite some time since my last (and only ) journal entry. In the meantime, two friends and I had to develop a game for a game programming course at our university. For that, we decided to create a clone of the old artillery game Scorched Earth. We call it RockReaper!
Here is a short video showing the gameplay:
The game was created from scratch using C++ and OpenGL 4.0. We used the SDL library, GLM and a thin C++ wrapper for OpenGL provided by our computer graphics chair.
Our key features are:
- Randomly generated, fully destructible terrain
- Weather simulation with wind and rain (not shown in the video)
- Pixel perfect collision detection
- GPU Particles via Transform Feedback
- Dynamic lighting
- 5 different weapons
- Turn-based multiplayer (2-5 players)
At the end, we made it in the top 12 and we now have to give a last presentation and submit a trailer for our game. We have no experience with creating trailers, so if anyone has tips or resources on that topic, please let me know.