Let's try scoping some features and design, so I have something to compare & learn from come deadline. As mentioned, I will be using Unity for this, and the deadline is roughly 1 month from now (June 7th). What follows is a rough feature list and basic design of the game.
Game concept: As a flying turtle, use various weapons to shoot down eagles to get currency. Spend currency on better weaponry in order to shoot down eagles more efficiently. Increasingly difficult eagle enemy types, culminating with a boss eagle.
Various features I want/need to include:
- Intro and outro "cutscenes" (very simple).
- Animated characters (player & enemies). Likely horrible and/or clip-art, 2D. Potentially replaced with bought (3D?) assets as development continues.
- Scrolling scenery.
- Collision detection.
- Simple enemy AI.
- Multiple weapon behaviors (ballistic movement, homing, line-of-sight).
- HUD/GUI for various bits and pieces (tracking game progress, health, currency, upgrade shop, etc). Text, icons, buttons.
- Player/weapon stats, affected by upgrades.
- Save/load (with support for multiple profiles).
- Simple input system.
- Deploy mainly to PC during development, mobile (Android) near completion.
- Enemy spawn system/ruleset. Possibly some sort of wave editor if needed.
- Various effects (sounds, music, particles, etc.).
There's probably a lot more as well, but that's the main things I can think of right now.
I don't know how to do all these things properly in Unity as it stands, but that's kinda the point. This will be a learning process.