Over the past few weeks I worked on a new Animation Controller and refractored the Unit Action system. It was a ton of work, but the code was getting out of hand and in order to move forward I realized I needed to reorganize the class hierarchy. Every time I do this it seems like I'm having to take a step back to take two steps forward. I'm starting to think that this is just the nature of game development. There are times when you feel like nothing is getting done because you have nothing to show except nice code.
In addition to adding rats (which no RPG should be without), I managed to implement object/grenade throwing, It ended up being a lot more challenging than I had anticipated. In this case, the requirement to extrapolate backwards from a target location and create a projectile arc demanded an entire class full of projectile math. Of course, it wasn't the math that was the challenge, it was linking animation events, inventory, actions, collisions, UI, etc.. Hence the need for the refractoring mentioned above.
(not sure why the rats are floating, they are 50 KG each)
I've also decided that the turn based game will make use of physics and ragdolls. I'll just have to find a way to seamlessly re position/centre units to the nearest square once rigid-body movement is complete.
As for other features completed, you can now swap out equipment during combat. Available unit actions are updated on the fly. I might make changing weapons during combat cost action points. Opening your backpack will cost even more action points, this will encourage the player to be prepared. Of course, armor won't be equip-able during combat and quick items (things located on your belt or across your back) will be less costly.
(note the character sheet is a mess, and I'm still pondering its layout and functionality. Unit stats are still under development )