A few days have passed since I uploaded the game. I did no advertising whatsoever, but the two blog entries I had here.
So I've been watching the dashboard closely, to see if somebody actually looked at and installed the game. And a handful (literally) did Joy!
I even got a feedback which can all be conveniently inspected in the dashboard. Unfortunately I've also got crash reports. In one case I received a stack trace. I have a hunch what might be the cause (I've called QueryInterface without checking the HRESULT. I should've known better!)
Currently I'm on vacation and have only access to a Windows 7 laptop. And unfortunately on this Visual Studio 2015 prefers to crash when I try to create new packages. I'm pretty happy I can actually compile though; and also the manual package creation via command line does work fine. Go figure. Downside, I obviously can't test or debug the compiled game at all. So I have to wait before uploading a fix to the store.
In the meantime I got access to a Windows mobile phone (which is actually pretty good IMHO). Just for kicks I deployed the game and it worked perfectly. If you disregard no possible keyboard entry or back button support. Over the last few days I've made a few adjustments to the code so now back button works, and overlay touch controls are also available (for phone only). I have also tried to add tilt support (both via Gyro and OrientationSensor - the first one is not supported by that phone, and the latter seems to be lagging quite a bit). Once I manage to get keyboard support I also have to try to make the game GUI somewhat more phone friendly (a tree control isn't really all that fit for big fingers).
Overall I'm pretty satisfied as how well the same app performs as pure Win32, as UWP app on desktop and on phone.