So what features is this game engine going to support?
- Line -> Line collision
- Force = mass * acceleration (Newtonian Physics)
- Stretch Goal: Line -> Bezier curve collision
- Ability to render textured meshes
- Stretch Goal: Particle system
- Stretch Goal: Trail system
- Keyboard input
- Asset exporter from blender
- Any non-game systems will be written in python (eg build scripts)
- The entire project aims to be < 1Mb total size
Obviously there has to be some sort of game to test this engine. So this whole 'engine' is going to be based around a single simple game:
You're going to fly a 2D spaceship around a course. You'll use arrow keys to steer, and you'll collide with the level geometry.
Yup, it's a primitive game - but I think that means it should be achievable. The grahpics style will be simple, as it will not be the focus of the project. The focus of the project is on me learning the underlying technologies required for making a game. You can see some concept art below: