Please check out my project page to play Shapes Tower Defense
You can play it on GameDev!
A Huge thank you to all those who've helped me out with this game. There were quite a number of us encouraging each-other along and I thought, and think, that that is just fantastic.
On the outset I was hoping to spend a lot of time on the game play. But I wasn't able to devote as much time to game play as I would have liked. In the future I think at least 50% of development time, if not more, should be spent play testing and tweaking. But Over-all I'm quite satisfied with my implementation of the ideas I set out with in my first blog regarding this project. Came together quite nicely. I think all of my years of experience with THREE.js helped me fast track many of the steps that maybe new-comers to the API would have to learn the hard way.
What went Right:
Using my own 3D program helped out tremendously, I don't think I could have created all the unique shapes ( over 30 ) if not for that. I think there is value in creating your own 2D and 3D suits. though they would be much much simpler, you can create them to suit you needs.
Expected development time and debugging was quite accurate, I'm surprised.
I enjoyed making this game a lot, and I think the part I enjoyed the most was looking up Johnson Solids and making them.
What went Wrong:
Like lawnjelly said, gimp is a nightmare. I'm a bit more familiar with it now but what I've learned about that beast is that it's probably incredibly easy for those who know what hot keys their pressing, but for me, a Microsoft paint wiz, it was terrible.
I didn't devote as much time to game play as I was expecting to. And game play is a whole different animal. I'm so used to technical problem solving that switching over your mind set to deal with something as ambiguous and subjective as game play was a challenge, especially since I only gave myself 5 days to do it. But thankfully lawnjelly was a big help and he pointed out a lot of design flaws that I had over-looked. I think I got most of them that he mentioned.
My code, It's bad.
I documented things as best I could and tried to label things but once the complexity of this project grew I could no longer keep things tidy or orderly. Sure I named variables 'vectorOne' instead of 'v' but the code lacks coherent structure. By the end I was confused as to where I had put things. Clearly much work to be done in this area.
All and all I enjoyed the experience a lot, and I became closer with some members. Win / Win
Have a great weekend.