Another busy week. The wife is still in the hospital. I know everyone has a different religion, but whatever religion that may be please send prayers her way, it’s much appreciated. She currently has an infection and with ImmunoTherapy this needs to be treated immediately. It is very difficult times for us right now. Working on the game is definitely an escape and keeps my mind busy from going down a rabbit hole of thoughts with everything going on.
Lots was done with the game. Here is a breakdown:
- In Game store created. At the start of each chapter in the starting room there will be a medical supplies cabinet. By interacting with this you are given the option to buy firecrackers, immunotherapy, and a temporary heart increase. You can use the coins that you gain by playing the game. The more coins you can save up the easier it will make the next run.
- In game coins are now saved from previous runs. Every run will make you stronger. The coins collected are now saved to your coin pool. You can now save up coins to use in the in game store.
- I changed the world layout of chapter 1. While I was planning out Chapter 2 I came up with this idea and wanted to implement it for Chapter 1 as well. Now in the path room where it splits off into 3 paths it will no longer be an easy, medium, or hard path. Now at the start of each game one of these paths are chosen as the path that leads to the boss. So you have a 33% chance of choosing the correct path. If you choose the wrong path there will be a locked door right before the boss so you will have to double back and pick another path. This time you have a 50% chance. Now most likely I will create an in game item that is a KEY. This can unlock the locked door if you choose the wrong path, but this item will be costly. So this is the new layout already working for Chapter 1 and this is what will be used for Chapter 2 and all other following chapters.
- Chapter 2 has been started. I have created the starting room. The complete room layout is done. This chapter the rooms will run vertical, so doors on top and bottom. Also you will see this Chapter is OUTSIDE! This Chapter is titled “The Garden”. Chapter 1 is called “The House” . These names will make sense once you learn the story.
- Chapter 2 Boss has been created and almost complete. The only thing I need to do is the boss intro. He does not have a name yet. I will show him off only a little in the video. He has a very interesting mechanic to him. He is a 20 crab like guys that are all attached. If you kill off one of them it will split them into smaller pieces. All of them have to be killed to finish him off. There’s two of them total of 10 each. So as you hit him many pieces can be created.
- 1 new enemy was created for chapter 2. You will not encounter this enemy until you reach chapter 2. He is very unique and different than the other enemies. He also is not a Germ or Virus. He is called the FireFly, and that’s really what he is, except much larger. He does not go out of his way to attack you. He will continuously fly around a selected bush. He also will change the direction he is looking so that he is always facing you. If you get to close he will attack you. You will have to destroy him to move on, but watch out when you hit him to many times he will begin to flash, once he starts flashing you better run! He will explode and shoot out fireballs in all directions!!
- Also created 2 new room hazards. One is the fire pit. This fire pit serves two purposes. Will be a light source in the dark outdoor levels but it also is a hazard. If you get to close it will hurt you. So stay away. The next hazard is the blow dryer. If you get to close to this it will turn on and blow you away. Watch out there’s going to be a hole near the blowdryer and you will get blown into it. You can tell when the blow dryer turns on as you will see the wind. These two room hazards and new enemy will def allow for some interesting room creations.
- I have started on the options menu for the game. You will see the title screen updated with an icon for Options, Pharmacy (in game store), and you can now see your coins. You can now tap on options and go to the options screen. So far I have the tutorial all setup and working. I will show this off in the video below. Other options to be added are sound control (once there are sounds and music) and credits screen.
- Added more sprites to the title screen to be selected randomly.
- fixed more bugs
- Also I set it up so the dodge ability is automatically equipped at the start of each game. This is an ability that everyone has at the start of the game and will most likely be the one that is used the most and every run. This saves the user time of opening the inventory screen and equipping it.
- Changed the darkness on the dark rooms so that it’s not so “dark”. This looks much better in my opinion and helps you see everything better when not lit up.
Next I will be working on finishing Chapter 2 with creating all the random rooms. This should be done within this week. Also need to finish the options menu and the pharmacy store (permanent upgrades). Then need to add sound and music and polish the game. We are sooooo close to being done!
This video will show off the options menu and tutorial section:
This video is showing off the in game store (medical supplies) and Chapter 2 “The Garden”. Just to show it off I have the player going from Chapter 1 starting room directly to chapter 2. This is only for debug purposes.