Well, since adopting the KV database into my server architecture I've begun to rethink many of my earlier assumptions, one of them being that I would continue developing my servers on Windows until I was past alpha stage... Since I've already brought a Linux solution into the core of the architecture, now is the best time to rewrite the servers to meet their life-long hosts. Not only that, it's a good opportunity to rethink and retouch some bits and bytes.
So, using the same CentOS7 VM I'm running redis on, I'll begin the process using what appears to be a fairly polished version of Visual Studio for Linux (Visual Studio Code) https://code.visualstudio.com/
But first, because I installed from the minimal distribution.. Gonna need a Gui.
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop"
Gotta get all Microsofty with it next..
Here's the Microsoft repos to install the dotnet sdk: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/linux-package-repository-for-microsoft-software
Got those installed and then:
yum install dotnet-sdk-x.x.x
To get the sdk commands to work I did have to manually install 'libunwind-devel' as the ONLY missed prerequisite in this whole process. If you know anything about installing non-standard packages on linux, that's fairly impressive.
I installed VSC from Microsoft's downloadable .rpm file. It actually had a reasonable number of STANDARD package dependencies, and didn't miss any... I'm still in shock.
All in all, so far, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the progress that Microsoft's cross platform tools have made in the last few years... I haven't tried to do anything like this (.net on linux) in probably 4 or 5 years, but it was fairly crap back then... That's probably another reason I was initially putting off the rewrite for Linux.
Now, well, you know where I'll be.