Okay, it's been a busy couple of weeks, I've been playing with shaders and retouching meshes and all kinds of fun things.
- Aiming/Shot Camera is now right-click, it orients to your current facing/throwing direction, and changes if you do. I've eliminated the reverse camera angle for now(former right-click), I might move it to another button. I re-used the fixed angle reverse camera code, added an IF that swaps it from a rear facing camera to a front facing camera depending on direction of travel and there you have it, a camera that snaps to an angle of your shot/thrust direction on a mouse-click. It's also excellent for surveying while airborne.
- I've re-instituted the single mesh collider for the terrain, so no more bumps on seams. I may solve this some day.. not yet.. haha
- UI clicks should no longer throw snowballs, so reloading fuel during a race is easily done, toggling the mini-map is easily done, and anything else involving the UI.
- New(old) Toon shaders for almost all of the moving parts. Going for super-simple and performant.
- I've touched every game object that has a texture at least once or twice in this last week(hopefully.. lol).. I've been trying to optimize and simplify where possible, as well as make sure I'm only using the shaders I intend to.
- I spent quite a bit of time revisiting lighting and setting up a super simple ultra-low definition baked lighting arrangement.
- I created a new ground texture, and.. SNOW!! haha, I've added a snow particle effect and hopefully it will play well for you, still tuning it though.
This is the third day in a row I've tried to upgrade the WebGL build to the latest version only to be confronted by various bugs and strange issues. Now, most of those were of my own creation, naturally. However I've stumbled on some strange behavior that I thought might be noteworthy for anybody else who is working with Audio in Unity for a WebAssembly (WebGL) build target. Somewhat applicable outside Unity land though..
Somewhere between the last build and this build I updated Unity and it seems they changed the way that their WebAssembly build target interacts with audio files because my clumsy assortment of .mp3s and .wavs and .oggs worked just fine on both FireFox and Chrome previously.
After updating to 2018.3, or some assortment of changes I made to the settings(I can't be sure if I updated Unity before the last build or after..), either way, all sorts of errors were cropping up in the web console, and no sound at all.. I finally found the following error and that led me down some more alleys that were mostly unrelated to the Unity incarnation of this problem..
"the buffer passed to decodeaudiodata contains an unknown content type"
After some reading I discovered that the new Unity+WebAssembly way of dealing with audio seems to be to just let the browser handle it, and that gets a little more complicated.. Each browser has a dislike of various common formats for one reason or another, so I found what seems to be a least common denominator... At least for FireFox and Chrome..
Long story short, I re-encoded all of my sound effects into 16bit PCM .ogg's.. And now things seem to be sounding appropriately again, at least there are sounds, and no more errors.
So, SlingBot Boarding v0.4.2: https://www.kongregate.com/games/WilliamOlyOlson/slingbot-boarding
Let me know what needs fixin next!!