I created my first Makefile today - never had to worry about them before. It works fine on GCC for windows, I just have to test it when I get home to make sure it's fine on Linux. It builds me a static library for GameMonkey, my favourite scripting environment. Let's see how it works out for me.
So to continue with Manta-X I realised that I'm going to have to learn Blender as MS3D doesn't work on Linux (duh). This also means I'll have to learn how to parse the Blender file format too - but it shouldn't be that hard I suppose. I'll probably prerender the images and use textured quads to keep with the whole 3d thing anyway so it might not be that big of a deal.
I'm amazed at the things I took for granted on Windows as I'm having to do all that stuff by hand in a text editor or on the command line. It was pretty funny at work today as I had to do a load of stuff using DOS - I found myself getting annoyed that I kept typing ls, cp, mv, etc to do simple file operations. :)