I got a very crude, slightly buggy chat program running. It's client/server, and I only tested it locally so far, but I was able to run several clients and all the chat data was properly propagated to all the clients.
I don't love the code design, so now that I have a working version I'm going to refactor it and then I'll take a couple of days to design an MMO server architecture (no coding, just on paper). This may involve a trip or two to the nearest bookstore to do some research.
Anyway, today I'm actually working on a cool fun task I can't tell you about... I got it working yesterday, I just need to improve the authoring side of it today.