After yesterdays "happening" with Python I decided to cut down the project a lot and just support enough to print out the fibonacci numbers and to just code it in C++. These projects are really just so I can see how these different areas work by finishing a small focused project.
Anyway, I wrote the compiler and interpretter for my extremely mangled version of ASM in a few hours and got it to print out the fibonacci series up to a certain limit in the language. Here is the beauty that is fASM (the f stands for fun)
MOVN 1 A
MOVN 0 B
MOVN 40 Cap
MOVA A C
ADD A B
MOVA C B
JLS A Cap LOOPME
Fugly, init [smile]. A, B and C are built-in variables. ASN defines a single 8bit variable and FUNC prints a number to the screen.
So, I think I'm going to leave this VM stuff for a while. It was fun to make but I think its time to move on, a new mini-project awaits. I've no idea what yet, but I'll probably do something 3d.
We got a bit more done on the game. I'd hoped to get the game out yesterday but there was no chance of that happening for various reasons, but we both want to get it out this Sunday. Hopefully this time I'll be able to deliver on schedule.
I've also discovered the agony that can be caused by lack of a design doc. We're getting into the last stages of the game and I'm being asked to add visual elements that hadn't been mentioned before. I'd made a fair few assumptions when coding the core of the game and I'm having to hack on these features. Its not pleasant at all. The next game whatever it is is going to include a rediculously detailed design so I don't get landed with this hack-and-slash situation again.
So, if anyone reading this is thinking of making a game, for the sake of your sanity, write a design doc.