On the tech side, i've implemented the scripts and the lighting effects (there's around 125 per-pixel omni lights in that scene), plus some special fx (lightning, 3D sound, shaders, etc.. ). We are pretty happy of the result, although the code is dirty f-ugly. But heh, when you've got deadlines, you've got no time to make nice code. Now that the stress is over, we'll take some time to clean a few things up.
- everything is animated (sea, clouds, lighting, wheather, day/night cycle, crane, helicopter, boat moving with waves, etc..)
- shadow maps + per-pixel lighting, but no normal mapping :(
- procedural sea animated with noise (similar to the Gamasutra article).
- reflections, refractions, underwater effects (not shown here)
- 3D sound using OpenAL
- runs at 15-20 fps on a Radeon 9600/9700, bottleneck is in shading/fillrate
My space engine hasn't advanced much since the last time. I've been experimenting with input/output completion ports under Windows. Looking good so far.