I continue to fiddle fart along. As far as The Project is concerned (don't really know what to call it, I suppose) I'm working on the testbed framework to get the world built and in place. I'm shamelessly ripping off a lot of the work and stuff I did for Golem and Accidental for this thing, as far as random level generation is concerned, since that is really what (still) interests me. But it's looking like I'm going to have to build some sort of quad-tree structure for the map, since right now the script interface simply tucks each piece of static geometry generated into the root scene node. Bog down is considerable with large numbers of objects.
I'm rather pleased with the relative ease of getting things up and going with Irrlicht. We're really getting the issues and problems we've had with it ironed out. It may not be the most robust or fully-featured of libraries, but so far it has performed acceptably and for a small-scale indie sort of project it seems quite sufficient.
Some small problems I have had with it I've managed to find patch files to fix, though a few of the patch files were 'broken' and I had to apply the relevant fixes by hand. Such is life, sometimes.