Fortunately the yum repositories I use had freeglut, as the official glut is a bit silly to build for linux. So far so good, all the examples have compiled and run as expected.
Anyways, back to the official glut source distribution, here's the instructions for compiling it for linux
1) Change into $GLUT_HOME/. and make a backup copy of the
Glut.cf file. Then, take the copy from this archive and move it
2) Run the script to build all the makefiles:
3) Change into $GLUT_HOME/lib/glut/. and make a backup copy of
the Makefile. Now, take the Makefile out of the archive and
replace the old one.
4) WHILE STILL IN THE $GLUT_HOME/lib/glut/. DIRECTOR, RUN:
This should build the shared library 'libglut.so.3.7'.
IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HEADER FILE DEPENDENCIES, try
This should rebuild the Makefile dependencies.
If this does not work, remove all the lines in "Makefile" below
the line saying "DO NOT DELETE" (yes, disregard what the line
says). Then try "make depend; make"
5) Make two symbolic links:
ln -s libglut.so.3.7 libglut.so.3
ln -s libglut.so.3.7 libglut.so
6) Now, back up to $GLUT_HOME/. and:
Absolute madness... you'd think there would be a better way to do this. Sometimes i'm rather grateful for package management tools like yum and apt-get.