I gave the particles another once over and things are looking much better. On the advice of Kev, the resident artist I added fades to the game (so it fades into and out of each level). It makes it look so much more pro than when I wasn't using any transitions at all.
So I'm just waiting on a few things from Kev and I'll be able to finish this up fairly quickly.
In other news, I downloaded the Ogre source again (I'd deleted it from my machine for some mad reason). Just reading through the code getting a feel for how the system works. I realy like the way its layed out. It makes me want to develope a decent code base for use in my projects. To date I've just started everything from scratch, though that was because I was using different APIs for each. Maul Ball was SDL, Jailbreak was D3D and Nanodude was OpenGL. I feel I have enough experience to at least take a shot at writing my own library for my games. I'm definately going to give it some serious thought.