Problems are a Gas:
They expand to fill thier container =)
This is a cute way of noting how even when big problems go away, the problems that were little feel just as big when there is nothing bigger =)
WTF are you talking about?
Well, now that MW is done, there are things that did not seem so big in comparison, but now seem big.
There are a few things I want to do before MW sees the light of day:
(did this during lunch, yay for productivity!)
2. Memory Usage - MW uses a LOT of memory, and I am not sure why, of course it uses lots of graphics (being a 2D game), but it would seem that I am doing somthing wrong somewhere.
3. Speed Bottlenecks - Primarily around spell casting, somthing about casting spells (I haven't profiled yet so I dont know exactly why) makes casting large spells very slow, it could be a variety of things:
(keep in mind a large spell is on the order of, oh about 500 particles(they are big particles))
-lots of allocating (not recycling magic particles)
-introduction of lots of lights (each particle is lit)
-too many sprites on-screen (unlikely)
-playing too much cast audio
I really need to get this worked out =/
4. Lighting speed - the lighting system works great in MW, primarily because it uses very discreet ray-casting (each light illuminates each tile in it's radius if it is seen) but I think the use of the ray-casting is a pretty big bottleneck, especially when you get ~500 lights on-screen =D
5. OpenGL adaptor - likely to be released after the true release, since it is a large project. Potentially unneccisary as well, however the idea behind the flare engine is choice of graphics api
6. WSS Audio Adaptor - Again, an alternative to the DirectSound based adaptor, might use OpenAL instead; but again likely to come as an update versus on version 1
7. Some better Sound FX - a lot of the SFX for enemies and spells are either poor or absent, this would be an out-of-pocket expense, but might be worth it.
All in all there are still things that would make the game better, though they might have to wait. I am nearing the 6th at break-neck speed. =D