Was going to write a blog-type story of SkyNet and Terminators and AI... but the guys here catch on quick, and in all truth, I have near zero free time these days, and in the free time I have, my brain is already pretty wasted, so no imagination to write a bit of the story per day.
So consider it all dead... finished... terminated!
Not wanting to leave the topic of Killing Robots, I'm creating my own.
It's a small "carpet rover", based on Walter Gray's Turtles.
My Robot's body is also, for now at least, prototyped out of Lego MindStorms components.
It already has a long list of possibilities, here are some sensors and devices:
- 2 Wheeled, 2 motors
- Sensors are controlled by 3 BasicX chips.
- 2 RF Transceivers, one for the Robot, another for "Base Station", my PC, that will receive status, and transmit orders to the Robot.
- 4 Ultra Sonic Sensors to detect obstacles
- 1 Digital Compass
- A CMU Cam (the first version)
- A Speech Synthesizer enables the robot to speak simple phrases to humans, like "I'm out of power" or "Bow to your new Leader puny Human..."
- A Basic Stamp 2p24 chip to control the Base Station RF module. It's a tad less powerful than the BasicX, so those stay with the Robot.
- An iPAQ 3660 that will serve as the brains of the Robot. It's an oldie, but it runs compiled embedded Visual Studio C++ apps, and that's all I need.
God... there is much more to add here... I'll soon setup a WiKi on my website for this project alone. LEGO Mindstorms alone is a huge universe, let alone trying to do Robotic Projects with it, it's an awsome concept...
One thing holding me back for now is trying to get LUA on the PocketPC as this thread I started so well demonstrates.
I don't know, it really irks me that nobody responds... Gamedev is turning more and more about girlfriend breakups and less about geek technology we all used to love and worship...
It's a bit like TV I guess. Long are the days of Sunday afternoon spent watching National Geographic, people want Big Brother, or Desperate Housewives, or whatever...
In all truth, one cannot say that a thread about Robots is linked to the GameDev theme, but I would argue it has more to do with it than many a thread currently active...
That was all the ranting I could muster for today... expect more tommorrow...