It's a bit daunting to aim to finish a game in two and a half months, but it's not impossible. Although I know there will be heaps of unforseeable problems, here's what I think I need to do, broken down into months:
October: Get the engine up and running with a bare bones version of a game
November: Flesh out the game with as much stuff as I can think of in the time available
December: Freeze introduction of new features, clean up the art and code ready for release
And here's the breakdown for October:
- Choose the 2D engine to use
- Roughly figure out the game design
- Design the software architecture
- Code up the equivalent of a "Hello World!"
- Opening menu/title screen working
- Simple music and sound working
- Game with player's ship flying and simple shooting (no enemies)
Anything I might have forgotten?