I figure I'll throw together a 2d Prototype of my game (which needs to be done anyways), and submit that. I'm sure it'll fare quite well. Option B is skipping the prototype, and building the game directly, an option I'm not too fond of. Option C, then, is submitting one of my games for the PSP that I wrote in LUA (I've been too busy to do any C/C++ games for it yet). I emailed him and asked him if I could do that, but as of yet there is no response.
So right now I'm pretty much going with the 2d prototype. As I was thinking about this I decided to throw in a few more RTS type elements. These additions will effectively make the game more like an RTS; and less like a traditional card-based RPG.
The first of these ideas is a set number of cards that every player recieves at the beginning of the game. As of now, these are the Deck Base, Grave Base, and Rest Base. The deck base allows you to "summon" cards, the grave base allows you to resurrect cards (if you have the ability to do so), and the rest base will be an area which units can go to in order to heal themselves. There are only 1 of each of these cards per person, and once destroyed, they cannot be rebuilt. The player can place these at any time, and thus use their abilities; or choose not to play them and save them for a strategic time. However doing so will limit their ability to succeed depending on which of these they do and do not play.
As I think about this more and more, I'm seeing this as more of a table-top RPG in semi-real time. There are no turns, but each character on the battlefield does have a set amount of action points, if you will, that determine how many actions they can take, or how far they can move (which I guess is an action). I believe this system will allow players to micro-manage their units a bit easier, as there will be a downtime for each unit in which they will be regenerating their action points. Any suggestions to this?
I'm also thinking of implementing a command map, in which you can see the location of all of your units, and all statistics available to you, such as how many units lost, how many cards destroyed, etc..
Another aspect I was thinking about was the player's avatar (commander / main character / whatever you want to call it). I'm going to try giving the avatar a far greater amount of action points as compared to other units so that they mey move around quickly from place to place, and thus have a quicker/larger area in which to cast spells or use special leadership abilities.
Right now I'm on my break between trigonometry and Systems Architecture and Assembler, so I think I'll get started on the prototype's layout. I'm hoping that by using simple 2d graphics and C#, I'll be able to knock out a fully functional prototype in about 2 months, and then use the remaining two to polish it up and submit it for the class thing.