There was one other gift that I really wanted to make use of:
A bluetooth headset. Y'see, I've got one of those fancy mobiles that should be able to use it as a hands-free device.
But I've not used it yet. There was a problem:
The mains adapter was a US one. I live in the UK.
Simple, go out and buy an adapter for it.... Problem is actually finding them, UK->USA is easy to find, USA->UK much less so.
The only one I could find was this one (GBP2.99 in Maplin, GBP6.99 in Dixons):
Now, notice it has some stupid border/bevel thing around the edge. Look back to the previous picture and notice that it won't actually fit in. I want to slap the muppet that designed such a useless "feature".
I'm a big advocate of picking the right tool for the right job. So instead of picking a file or a (hack)saw I chose:
10 minutes later:
(Notice the shards of white plastic in the background - my room is now covered in them)
But I managed to screw my blade up a little [rolleyes]
It's now sitting here charging itself ready for first use [grin]
Given that this is a development journal I suppose there should be a moral, or at least a reason for posting. This is a "real world" exercise in showing how difficult it is to solve design issues once the product has shipped. For more details, read the book I'm currently enjoying: Code Complete, Second Edition.