In other news, i've added a sun glowing effect and some "dust" particles in space. It doesn't look very good at the moment, but i'll improve the effect later on. The idea is to be able to see how fast you're moving in space when there is no point of reference around you.
The video motion is a bit jerky and there are some slowdowns. This is due to recording in real-time, which puts a lot of stress on the hard drive and CPU. But i've also discovered a massive memory leak, which makes the whole game crash at 2.1 GB of memory usage. In theory, i was not expecting it to go higher than 1 GB, so i'll have to investigate into that.
I noticed some artefacts in the ZBuffer after i modified the setup of the scene. I moved the gas giant away so that it looks more "realistic", and also added a couple of moons. The algorithm tries to split the scene into 3 frustums, with different ZNear/ZFar values. I guess there's a bug in it, because i can sometimes see the atmosphere/clouds fight with the ground.
In the coming week(s), i'm also going to consolidate, clean up and reorganize a few things in the engine. The base is pretty well designed and robust, but some of the recent tests / changes are pretty ugly. And i'm not 100% happy with the directories structure.