[web] PHP Game - Monade

Started by
5 comments, last by jumpjumpjump 19 years, 5 months ago
As some of you may have known, I've been interested in creating a PHP MMO Game for a while now. I've been juggling ideas and thought that I should create something simple first before I start with something too complex. I visited my favourite local Chapters and quickly read through PHP Game Programming. Matt Rutledge suggests a Lemonade stand game. I think I will take on this challenge. Any ideas or comments would be really appreciated..... This is a simple idea which I think is very doable. I'll post in this thread when progress is being made. I'll also eventually require some testing and I know you guys will be more then happy to help out.... Right?! Senses777 might also be helping with development, we'll see. Monade Players will register starting off in a city with only a couple of bucks. They will need to visit the grocery store, pick up ingredients and start making and selling lemonade to civilians in the district. As they gain respect around their district they find that they can "recruit" bullies to side with them from the schools. These bullies will assist in not only defending your lemonade stand but also attacking other players' lemonade stands. There will be a hardware store offering new equipment to make lemonade as well as some weapons for your bullies. It's almost like some drug war game...
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Advertisement
Like Syndicate, but with Lemonade?

Sounds interesting, tell me how the economy would work? Would the players be able to set their prices? How would lemonade be sold? Will there only be one type of lemonade or will players be able to sell different bevarages and perhaps snacks?
Quote:Original post by evolutional
Like Syndicate, but with Lemonade?

Sounds interesting, tell me how the economy would work? Would the players be able to set their prices? How would lemonade be sold? Will there only be one type of lemonade or will players be able to sell different bevarages and perhaps snacks?

Sounds like a decentish game, so you'd be basically selling at a specified rate, you wouldn't have people walking up and down and buying the lemonade?

I assume bullies in an area will affect the rate in which the lemonade sells? Can bullies beat up other bullies?

haha, my mysterious ways. I'm thinking you'll set the selling price, sugar/water/lemon quantity per cup and then as time goes people will come along and buy your lemonade. This will be dependable on:
Sugar quantity - More sugar = more sales but more expensive
Weather - More sales during sunny weather
Flavouring (thanks for the idea evo) - Purchased at the grocery store

Once you develop a nice amount of money and have a reputation, you can hire bullies from the school. You can then send bullies over to other players to possibly steal some of their ingredients, money, etc. Bullies also defend from such attacks. I'm not sure whether having bullies will affect the sell rate. Maybe, we'll see.
You could be allowed to send bullies to stand around a neighbouring patch to intimidate customers from going to them. The presence of a bully would drop the selling rate for that area unless they have bullies of their own to fend off your sponsored thug. This way, you could stop someone opening a new stall by crowding bullies around it making it unfeasible for them to keep it open. Naturally, a bully standing around in 'intimidation mode' like this wouldn't be able to do anything else like 'stealing' or what-have-you.
Just saw this in the GDNet Direct:
Quote:
One of the more interesting news items this week was for a web-based MMO strategy game that has gone on sale on Ebay. A quick check of this item shows it having a current bid of $5,000 with a little over three days remaining in the auction. Apparently the game has been profitable, but the owner has just run out of time and resources. Could this be another route for independent developers in the marketplace? It's not a bad idea, anyway.
They were probably talking about PimpsLord, which is a php game that brings in profit. Pretty interesting, you might wanna check it out. I know they offer the source for $399 on their site now.
That actually sounds pretty cool. I am actually thinking about starting a web design business for something to do. So I have been practicing up on my advanced php(not the thing you saw rob, the one I am making alone is far superior) and web design. I have also been attempting to tune my photoshop skills up.

So this does sound like a good market place for web scripts and games as it said. Might also be a good way to get games published by yourself if no publisher will do it.(Important to me since my team started our first commercial game.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement