IGF Interviews: Call for help

Started by
7 comments, last by Gaiiden 18 years, 2 months ago
1/27/06 - I'll be handling the final four interviews. Thanks again to all who contributed this year! GDNet Community - As you may or may not know, GDNet has been, over the years, interviewing the IGF finalists prior to the GDC. I took most of this responsibility upon myself in the past, but in recent years the growth of the competition has led to 20 finalists, which is more than I can handle alone. If anyone is interested in lending a hand this year and interviewing a finalist or two (or more) it would be greatly appreciated. These interviews are developer interviews, covering such topics as how the game idea was conceived, development hurdles, tools used, techniques best used, etc. Have a look at past interviews in the archives to get an idea as well. Below are the available finalists. More information on them can be found on the IGF home page Professor Fizzwizzle Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa Dodge That Anvil Dad 'N Me. Rumble Box Strange Attractors Braid Tribal Trouble Crazy Ball Dofus Glow Worm Putt Nutz The Witch's Yarn Thomas And The Magical Words Moleculous I've already selected 5 for myself, the rest will be handed out on a first-come first-serve basis. I will provide contact information for the developer once you've contacted me requesting a game team to interview. We really want to complete all these interviews before GDC so please keep that in mind. The best type of interview is an online one via a chat service. Log the interview and simply copy it into Word to edit. You can either contact me directly via PM or respond here. Feel free to ask any questions as well. Thanks!

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Advertisement
I'd be interested but have no online chat facility. If you don't get any/enough takers I can do it by email.
I don't have time to look at those games but I wouldn't want to interview anyone about puzzle games or RPG games. I also assume it would be handy to extensively play any games we interview the developers for?!

Let me know if I can be of use.
I've done a few email interviews and they've worked out just as well as chat interviews. In some cases they're better since the developers may be too busy to answer questions live.

As for playing the game, not really. These are developer interviews, we're not really interested in the game play, we're looking to learn more about how the game was developed. I usually start by having all the team members present list their roles on the game, ask a question or two about their involvment in the IGF, and then ask questions pertaining to the game itself. Like Veggie Games last year had a non-violent game, so we spoke a bit about non-violence in gaming. Then some general development questions like "what was the biggest hurdle during development and how was it solved?", "what could you have done better during development?", "what tools were used?". If they're an online team ask em how they keep in touch and coordinate. Stuff like that.

Also the more team members you can get the better. My chat interviews with 4-5 people were always the most enjoyable.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

For email interviews then, can't you just send the same questions to everyone and not need any help?!

If you like I can send a few emails - I'd ask mostly the same stuff but tailor it to anything that stands out from the game (like the non-violence example you give). Do I just use contacts from the IGF site or have you got a list?

These are the entries I would most like to interview:
Strange Attractors
Braid
Rumble Box
Crazy Ball.

Or you can allocate me up to 4 if these are already spoken for...

[Edited by - d000hg on January 6, 2006 10:27:27 AM]
If no one else has claimed it, i'd be interested in doing Wildlife Tycoon: Venture Africa.
The Fizzwizzle interview should be ready this week. Got some good info along with some good screen-grabs of the development process. I'm hoping it'll be fast-tracked to the article queue. We're only about 8 weeks to GDC, so we need to start posting 'em ASAP.

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Didn't get any pretty pictures, but I submitted 3 interviews just now. They should be up soonish.
Fizzwizzle is done. Let's start getting these up on the page!

http://www.thecodezone.com/delme/interview/

(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually still available on store-shelves, although you'll need a keen eye to find them nowadays. He continues to work in the casual game-space as an independent developer, largely working on games in Flash for his website, The Code Zone (www.thecodezone.com). His current scheme is to distribute his games virally on various web-portals and widget platforms. In addition, John writes weekly product reviews and blogs (over ten years old) for www.gamedev.net from his home office where he lives with his wife and daughter in their home in the woods near Lake Grapevine in Texas.

Start bugging Dave now cause he got 4 from me :P

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement