MAGIC Game Dev Contest - Results are in!

Started by
222 comments, last by Svenjamin 16 years, 10 months ago

MAGIC - Mystery Aspect Game Innovation Contest

Results and Submitted entries

The contest is now over! Thanks to all who particpated!

Results:

First Place: tag for Tower of Babel Second Place: Scint for Tower Rivals Honourable Mentions: Orangy Tang, extralongpants, Endurion and GroZZleR for games that caused me to make some very hard decisions to choose the winners! See the MAGIC Contest Results page for detailed results and comments.

Submitted entries:

Mystery Aspect

The mystery aspect (secret theme) for the contest is... The Tower! Your game needs to be based around a tower, or towers. It is up to you as to what the tower is (or towers are) and how they affect the game. Best of luck, and have fun! Disclaimer: this contest has nothing to do with Magic the Gathering. Magic the Gathering is a trademark of Wizards of the Coast, and I'm only including a picture of the card here to announce the theme because it's cool. Extra Day: The end of the contest has be extended to June 11th, midnight GMT. The contest will still start on June 3rd.

Submission Details

Check the FTP page for details on how to upload your game. Make sure your finished game:
  • is playable when extracted from the archive file, i.e. you have not left any important files out
  • contains an obvious readme file that outlines
    • how to play the game (if not easily figured out from the game itself)
    • acknowledgements and credits for any third party libraries, art, sound effects, music etc. that you have used in your game, preferrably with HTML links so other game developers can use these to help make their own games
Once you feel your game is finished, email me the location of your file. My email address is my full name, David.Lawrence.Shaw, with the spaces between the names replaced with dots, then the "at" symbol, then gmail, dot, com (replacing the dot with an actual dot, of course). If you are not an email harvesting spider then you should be able to work it out. Put "MAGIC" in your email title (in all caps) so I can easily see it is about the contest. For those competing, check out the Contest Wiki. There's also a useful Resources Wiki Page to help you find the materials you need to make your game. Good luck, good developing and have fun! [Edited by - Trapper Zoid on June 12, 2007 7:33:17 AM]
Advertisement

MAGIC - Mystery Aspect Game Innovation Contest

The What

Your goal is to create in a single week a game based on an innovative game idea (including the mystery aspect and with as much polish as you can throw at it at the time available.

With only a week it is not expected that you have a fully finished game of any significant scope, but it is enough time to implement a new game idea prototype with style. The end product should be good enough to convince a player that you've got an idea with some potential. This requires both some originality (and fun) game idea, plus a fair amount of effort on the presentation to draw people in.

For an idea of what is required, check out the Experimental Gameplay Project from which a major part of the concept behind this competition is based.

At its heart, this contest is meant to be a fun and friendly way to spend a week developing a new idea, and hopefully end the week with a great new game idea.

The When

• Start and Mystery Aspect revealed: Sunday, 3 June 2007, 00:00:00 UTC time (Greenwich Mean Time) - for your local time see link to World Clock
  • Finish: Monday, 11 June 2007, 00:00:00 UTC time (Greenwich Mean Time) - for your local time see link to World Clock(has been extended one day from Sunday to Monday)

The How

The full set of rules is still being assembled. Here is a short run down of the more important things to keep in mind for the competition:
  • Your game will need to incorporate the mystery aspect in a large way. Entries without the mystery aspect will be disqualified. Entries with only a passing resemblance to the mystery aspect will score low.
  • You may use game makers, libraries and existing engines for your game (provided they don't break any other rules). You may use code used from previous games you made provided you rewrite the gameplay components. What this means is it is acceptable to use common reusable parts of your games (for example: initialisation, graphics code, physics, collision detection, common AI routines like path finding etc.), but it is not okay to merely tweak an existing game in a little way for your submission; you need to make a new idea. The mystery aspect will help with enforcing this.
  • While it is okay to use any content that is free for non-commercial use or anything you have permission for, it is not okay to use any material that you do not have the right to distribute. That means ripped graphics and music from games, random images from websites and so on are not okay unless there is explicit permission for you to use them. The same applies for trademarks.
  • There is a hard limit of 7 megabytes (that's 7,340,032 bytes) on entry download sizes. This is the size of the (probably compressed) download; your uncompressed game can be larger if it can compress to under 7 megabytes. With the exception of software already installed on the judges computer you will need to provide everything that is required to run your game, so factor this into your choice of libraries, art and music.

Once again, check the Wiki for the rules as they develop. A hard copy list of rules based from these will be posted before the start of the competition.

The Prizes

Yes, we have prizes! We currently have two fine prizes from the organisers of the competition:
  • From Prozak, we have $50.00 (USD) to be spent on any reputable online store, on a GameDev.Net membership, or wired via Paypal.
  • From Trapper Zoid, we have a copy of Game Development with Lua by Paul Schuytema and Mark Manyen.

First place gets to choose the prize of his/her/their choice. Second place gets the remaining prize.

The Mystery Aspect

The mystery aspect is a secret theme (or possibly multiple secret themes) that will be chosen at the very start of the contest. The method of choice of mystery aspect is yet to be decided. It will involve a random choice from a short list, but the content of that list will depend on what difficulty it is gauged will best suit the competition. This choice will be based on a rough estimate of the experience of the people who sign up and what level of challenge they are desiring. So it's best to sign up early and make your opinions heard!

The Judging

The judging will be done by the sponsors of the competition (Prozak and Trapper Zoid). Judging should be completed a week after the end of the competition.

We will be looking mainly in two areas rated roughly equally when ranking your games:
  • Gameplay: How good is the idea, how original is it, how well does it incorporate the secret theme, how well was it implemented from a technical perspective, how does it play, how are the controls? Etcetera.
  • Presentation: How the game looks and feels. It's the artistry behind the game. Everything from art, sound, music, animation, story, humour, or just the "vibe" of the game counts here.

The Wiki

Prozak has set up a Wiki for the contest. This will be a great source of information useful for the contest. Contestants are encouraged to post details of their game in progress to their Wiki page.

In development is a Resources page listing links to all manner of useful libraries, art assets, sound effects and music that you can use for your game entries.

The Sign-up Sheet

...is below; just make a comment that you want to be in the competition! You can also add your name to the list of contestants in the Wiki. You can use your Wiki page to post updates of how you are going in the contest.

[Edited by - Trapper Zoid on May 26, 2007 7:43:38 PM]
That acronym is hopelessly far-fetched and a mystery in itself :) But I'll keep an eye on this. Three weeks preparation seems a little much though.
Quote:Original post by Prototype
That acronym is hopelessly far-fetched and a mystery in itself :) But I'll keep an eye on this. Three weeks preparation seems a little much though.

Hey, the corny far-fetched acroymn worked for Fear Encounter Assult Recon [grin].

I admit that three weeks is a long lead time, but I'm posting this now to give everyone time to mark it in their calendars and plan ahead. It's an advance warning so people can get prepared; like for people like me who are working on our own 2D game engines [smile]. Also given the emphasis on polishing it gives people time to keep an eye out for good resources out there on the internet.

I'd love to be in.

The mystery aspect is... brinksmanship and negotiation.
I'd love to take part. But I've just discovered my exams are on the 4th, 5th and 8th of June. Oh well. Maybe I'll do a 2 day project, depending on what the mystery aspect is...
I'm in.
Quote:Original post by sprite_hound
I'd love to take part. But I've just discovered my exams are on the 4th, 5th and 8th of June. Oh well. Maybe I'll do a 2 day project, depending on what the mystery aspect is...

Sorry about that; I hope there's isn't too much of a clash with exam periods for other people. I may be able to delay or extend the competition by a day if need be.

Quote:Original post by Ravuya
The mystery aspect is... brinksmanship and negotiation.

Isn't it always? [smile]
Sounds good, I'm in.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
I was on my way out the door when I caught Trapper Zoid's PM regarding this official thread, and well, all I got to say is, enjoy the challenge, have fun, share experiences, and I hope whoever wins gets good use out of the Prizes.

Join up! [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement