• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DDnewbie

release game on CD:

This topic is 6815 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I wan''t to release my game on a cd, thus making an ordinary cd with my game on. I wonder how I should refer my bitmaps,movies... in the code. Should I use this, "CDROM:\\bitmaps\\file.bmp" and so forth? Or should I use current directory in the code? Like this, "\\bitmaps\\file.bmp" if I put the exe in directory before bitmap. Thanks! Newbie

Advertisement
If the game is running from the cdrom, then there''s no reason to change anything... just copy the entire directory structure across. You should use relative pathnames (unless you have a good reason not to) as it allows you to move your directory structure from place to place and disk to disk without breaking anything. If the game will be on the hard disk and the cdrom will still hold the data, you will have to be able to specify absolute filenames on the cdrom, but you''ll also need to be able to accommodate the use of different drive letters for that drive.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!