• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Promit

Increasingly unreliable

This topic is 6233 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I don't really want to sound bad in some way, but the ability to post messages and browse the forums has been steadily degrading, especially in the evenings. I 404 at least once when I try to post a message and I have to go back sometimes several times. I assume this is due to the servers choking on the massive bandwidth. I know that you can't get another server or something, since GDNet isn't exactly rich. Could you look into doing somethng to help though? [edited by - Promit on June 19, 2002 6:51:46 PM]

Advertisement
agree.

my sense is that it''s a database load problem not a site load problem. i never have problems viewing pages that are not pulling large amts of text from the database.

actually i never have problems anywhere other than posting a reply or a new topic to the forums. you''re not trying to lock the table when you do an INSERT, are you? anyway whatever the problem is appears to be restricted to the way INSERTs are done.

whatever, 95% sucess rate is good nough for me.

-me

quote:
Original post by nick316
This problem can be blamed solely on microsoft.

It depends mostly on the SQL server they are using... And it''s not because they are using ASP that they necessarily use MS SQL server, they could use MySQL or PostgresSQL or ORACLE or any other SQL server since ASP, like many other web programming language, can communicate with them.

"DaHjajmajQa''jajHeghmeH!"

Cyberdrek
danielc@iquebec.com
Founder
Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

I would assume, your net connection is crap.
I have no problems accessing from home on a 28.8 k connection, and thats in Australia.
Slow, but not inactive.
404's pop up on a bad connection, if the server had a problem, you would get a database (asp, php) code error or similar, usually by stringing certain words, but not a 404, thats usually because a page is "not found" or "does not exist", hence if your connection is not good enough to catch the data, it "will not find it" and therefore assume that it "does not exist".

Are you sure its not just limited to the gamedev site?
Check your connections, ping an ip address somewhere to see if the ping fluctuates.

As I say, I have no problems at any time, during any day.

just my thoughts

[edited by - fatherjohn666 on June 19, 2002 12:03:46 AM]

quote:
Original post by fatherjohn666
I would assume, your net connection is crap.

Nope, I get similar problems (actually its a 500 or page not available error you get when a post/reply fails). Lets look at my connections:
Home: 512 DSL approx. 2 minutes walk from "central station"
College: T3 approx. 12 floors from fiber backbone.

yep, those are both pretty crappy connections.

Yep, I got it again, and it''s not a 404 page not found. It''s a 500 server failure.

My connection at home is a very reliable cable line, and I''ve tried it with almost direct connections to T3 and fiberoptic backbones. Definitely not the connection.

I get this too. Mostly no trouble with posting, but 95% of the time when I try to edit my posts, it fails.
Oh, and I have a 1Mb connection.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!