• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Promit

Increasingly unreliable

This topic is 6234 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Yep, 10AM-12AM was really bad, especially for some of the moderator features.

I place the blame for this slowdown entirely on trolls and spammers. Just a few minutes ago someone spammed the same message to 22 different forums.

Advertisement
You moderators really have a hard job, I feel pity for you...

Well I''m admin of a really small forum too and I know what it is to fight a spammer: first a warning, and if it doesn''t stop then: ban IP, ban email, ban username

I had problems posting too today. But on the whole, these forums are pretty good and fast. On a somewhat related note, the Bioware forums are dying from all the messages regarding NWN problems.

On access problems, I think yesterday was the worst. Today, I''m still getting some access problems, but not as bad. Just about every few posts on the forums do I get a message (500).

quote:
Original post by Arild Fines

Of course it can, and while we are at it, why don''t we blame them for the bad weather, world hunger, 11/9 etc as well?

November 9th, what happened on that day?

quote:
Original post by nick316
November 9th, what happened on that day?

Perhaps you where unaware, but the month/day/year naming convention is mostly North American, other countries use day/month/year (notice how its more logical, going from smallest to largest increment, rather than some random order), and many databases use year/month/day (so they can be sorted as strings).

BTW, performance for me, today, was:

7AM: Good (Normal)
8AM: Poor to unreachable
9AM: Usable, but sluggish
11AM: Good (Normal)

in case someone is diagnosing this problem, i''ve just noticed something. if i get the 500 Microsoft OLE error, i will continue to get it for a while if i attempt to post to the same thread. however, if i post to a different thread i don''t get a problem. it sounds like a row/table locking problem somewhere.

i have no idea what your db architecture is, but it looks like on the reply process, you lock a row or a table somewhere. and whatever that row/table is, it is specific to a particular thread. somewhere along the line (probably due to DB load), whatever update you are doing fails and the row/table is not unlocked. after a couple minutes or so, the DB probably realizes that something is wrong and frees the lock.

if there''s a way to find where that lock happens and perhaps put in some time-out code (try/catch block???) you could at least avoid the problem of continual inability to post to the same thread until that lock is removed. we''d still intermittently get the 500 error but at least it wouldn''t "stick" for a while on the same thread. that''s the part that''s annoying. i have to wait 2-5 minutes to post to the thread i want to post to.

-me

I experience the problem from time to time while posting. I submit my reply, and get the timeout error. Then, I just try it again a few seconds later, and it works.

It always takes a long time for the server to respond, though. On the other hand, if I modify my post by editing and resubmitting, the response is almost always instantaneous. Really looks like a DB insertion issue to me ?

Another weird thing: "ghost threads". When I move a thread to a different forum, it can sometimes take very long, until it appears there (sometimes hours). During that time, the message is only available through it topic_id, or through the user profile.

/ Yann

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!