What books...

Started by
5 comments, last by creedance 24 years, 1 month ago
Which books would be the best for learning the multiplayer(online in particular) aspect of game programming?
"If at first you don't succeed... destroy all evidence of ever trying"
Advertisement
Well, for the Winsock API I highly recommend "WinSock 2.0" by Lewis Napper. For the Java network API, there''s "Java Network Programming" by Elliotte Rusty Harold. For Unix sockets "Unix Network Programming, Network APIs: Sockets and XTI" by W. Richards Stevens.

I haven''t found any good books on DirectPlay.

For the actual theory of multiplayer coding, latency, arbitration, etc. The best sources are articles on line and formal books on distributed systems (as in 300-level college texts).
Thanx for you''re help. I''ll try to look into those books.
Here is a newer book than "Winsock 2.0" that I found incredibly useful:

"Network Programming for Microsoft Windows"
Anthony Jones and Jim Ohlund
ISBN#: 0-7356-0560-2
[email=direwolf@digitalfiends.com]Dire Wolf[/email]
www.digitalfiends.com
Thanx. I''ll probably get both of those books then.

Keep in mind both of these are simple how-to-connect-two-computers type books. They will offer 0 insights on how to actually make multiplayer games. There''s tons of issues with just designing the single-player code base properly as well as dealing with the classic networking problems (synchronization, bandwidth, latency, etc). I''d recommend hunting around the net for references on stuff like this.
Volition, Inc.
Okay. It''s a start though. I''ll take that advice into consideration. Thank you everyone for your pointers and suggestions: it''s greatly appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement