Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can I get a screen dump and put it in my game???

This topic is 5658 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You all know how in windows you can hit the key and get a bitmap of the current windows desktop saved to the clipboard. What do I have to call ( or do ) in my windows/directX code to get a current shot of the windows desktop and load it onto a Direct X surface/texture? I know how to load it to a surface/texture once I get it into bmp format, but do any of you know a good way my program can aquire that information from windows and save it in a bmp file or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

These are helpful, kind of. Maybe I should clarify, I actually want to take a snap shot of the users *desk top* before my game actually inits (or sometime during the init) I don''t want to take screen shots of my game, but rather the users desk top before my game starts basically. Kind of interesting yes, but I got a great idea for it.

You can get a DC for the whole screen using NULL as the HWND-parameter in a call to GetDC (or a similar function), and then get the pixels through standard GDI functions (e.g. use BitBlt to transfer the contents of the screen to a BITMAP or something).