What is 6 Degrees of Freedom???

Started by
11 comments, last by GuessWho 21 years, 9 months ago
quote:Original post by wazoo69
It''s starting to become a catchphrase...you know how the marketing boyz at MS are pushing the whole "1 degree of seperation" puke for .NET? Same thing here..

The public doesn''t KNOW what 6 DOF actually means, but I''m sure as hell not gonna buy a title that only support *4* DOF! How archaic! How old fashioned! Are you telling me people used to LIVE with *4* DOF?? Why that HAS to be unconstitutional!

Yeah, and I''m sure as hell not gonna buy a product that doesn''t have one degree of seperation!

quote:
original post by _the_phantom_

only 6dof game I know of is the Descent series of games as you can move along [translate] any of the axis and rotate around any of the axis at the same time (exmaple, forward, up and left while pitching forward, spinning left and rotating around)

Yeah, but that game was crazy. Flyin'' around, having no idea what direction your faceing. Sometimes, six degrees of freedom is too much.

Advertisement
>>Yeah, but that game was crazy. Flyin'' around, having no idea what direction your faceing. Sometimes, six degrees of freedom is too much.<<

true i was getting pissed off with a demo i wrote yesterday trying to control the camera (it has 6DOF) im gonna clamp it to just 3 (heading/pitch/forward+backward)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
quote:Original post by PepsiPlease

Yeah, but that game was crazy. Flyin'' around, having no idea what direction your faceing. Sometimes, six degrees of freedom is too much.

depends on the game really, in the case of the descent series it worked (with auto correct off I spent best part of a map playing on the roof however, hehe), but I cant think of many games where you would need all 6degrees.. 5 is a nice workable number, get rid of the z-axis rotate (example: Homeworld)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement