DirectX SDK

Started by
8 comments, last by neoztar 21 years, 10 months ago
When I tried to download the SDK over at MSDN, I noticed the download is over 100mb. GL isn''t even a single mb. How can this be? What has microsoft put into this sdk to make it so huge? I don''t want any samples, documentation, etc., just the .lib and .h files neccesary for using directx. Does anyone know where I can get them?
~neoztar "Any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer"my website | opengl extensions | try here firstguru of the week | msdn library | c++ faq lite
Advertisement
Too bad. That SDK includes everything you will really need: such as documentation, samples... .

+++ Corvus +++
+++ Corvus +++
You don''t get any detailed samples or tutorials for OpenGL in MSDN. That''s where the 100 MB comes from.

Note that you already have a DirectX SDK of sorts (just libs, includes and docs in MSDN) with MSVC, but it''ll likely be for an older version (unless you have VC.NET).

Helpful links:
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way | Google can help with your question | Search MSDN for help with standard C or Windows functions
The Older SDk''s had an optional download components installation, where you could select what you wanted.

I don''t know if there is one for DirectX 8, but it might be worth a look.
If you have that negative feeling from the very start (you haven't even downloaded it, yet) about DX I really suggest you to stick with OGL.

If you still do, head to http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/topic.asp?url=/msdn-files/028/000/114/topic.xml and if you still don't like it, stick with what you like.

[edited by - MatuX on June 23, 2002 9:55:30 AM]
Unpacked DXSDK (total 260 MB) has:

- 15 megs of docs (OpenGL docs are included in Platform SDK)
- 9 megs of includes (OpenGL has fewer, obviously)
- 8 megs of libs (almost 6 of which is D3DX)
- 27 MB redistributable (OpenGL doesn''t need one)
- 115 megs of samples, of which 35 MB are VB samples, 45 MB are media files, and 32 MB are pre-built .exe files
- 70 megs of runtimes, 40 MB debug and 30 MB release
- 12 MB installer file (!)
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
Remember that Open GL is a pure 3D Api. Direct X has 3D/Sound/Input/Internet/Video/2D/Music
I could live with downloading those 17mb''s of includes and libs, but I don''t need the documentation (learning from online tuts), redistributable (got it with a game), samples (same as doc), runtimes or installation file. Why isn''t it possible to download the different parts of the SDK individually? On my 56k modem a download of 100mb would take about 12 hours!
~neoztar "Any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer"my website | opengl extensions | try here firstguru of the week | msdn library | c++ faq lite
quote:Original post by neoztar
I could live with downloading those 17mb''s of includes and libs, but I don''t need the documentation (learning from online tuts)

Unless you plan on copy-pasting the tutorials, you need information on function parameters, available functions, and so on. How can you live without the docs?
quote:
redistributable (got it with a game)

Yeah, this is pretty much useless.
quote:
samples (same as doc)

Don''t ignore the samples. For one, the are tutorials in the SDK, and the samples show how to do many things. Remember that the samples are tested and debugged and are almost guaranteed to work on any computer with proper hardware support, so if something doesn''t work, you can compare your code with the code in samples. Plus, samples and documentation contain wealth of information on DX; if you plan on learning it seriously, you should learn samples as well.
quote:
runtimes

This is a must have. Read this thread for many reasons why you should get the debug runtime.
quote:
or installation file.

Windows Installer is amazingly good at bloating installation sizes. The good news (I think) is that .msi files compress pretty well.
quote:
Why isn''t it possible to download the different parts of the SDK individually?

There''s Componentized Download, but C++ SDK is 124 MB so it''s of little help.
quote:
On my 56k modem a download of 100mb would take about 12 hours!

My advice is get the SDK. If you are serious about learning DX, you''ll need it.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
They put all stuff a developer would need to develop. The way it is distributed is not intended for playing with it at home. After all, SDK means Software DEVELOPEMENT Kit, not Software Playing Kit.

However, I agree they should make a Lite version of their package that would only include docs, headers and libs.

But still we could be in a worst situation where it wouldn''t even be available online and would have to buy a CD $2 + shipping and sometime wait for weeks before receiving it. Can you say DirectX 7 ? . The CD printout was cool tough.
Editor42 ...builds worlds

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement