Implementing Steady Motion

Started by
13 comments, last by sdoherty55 21 years, 9 months ago
"Yes, RTFM on timeBeginPeriod and timeEndPeriod."

I had actually already tried timeBeginePeriod, and the although there was nothing specific for XP in the manual. The manual did mention that Window2000/NT was likley to be set at 5 milliseconds. Looks like the problem with timeGetTime() was actually a loss of significance as a result of using floating point rather than double or DWORD.

Using timeGetTime does seem to fix the Jerky motion, it just is to bad that the performace counter does not seem to work; as the Microsoft MVP site actually does not recommend timeGetTime() in a tight loop.

For the record, my chipset is only a partial register match for the performance counter issue. Although, Microsoft does say that there is more chipsets to identify.

Thanks, CrazedGenius
Thanks, IndirectX; for the record I do read the manual.

[edited by - sdoherty55 on June 23, 2002 6:35:19 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by sdoherty55
Big Sassy,

Are you using D3DAPP.C for your performance timer or did you implement your own? Although, I don''t think that their should be a difference given it D3DAPP.C AND DXUTIL.C are using the QueryPerformanceCounter.

I use my own that uses QueryPerformanceCounter. IndirectX, that article sounds like that''s exactly what my problem is. I''m going to test it out in a sec and see if there is any difference. In any case, thanks for pointing out that article.

Okey. I think I fixed the issue with the performance timer. I built a test project that uses timeGetTime, NeHe's QueryPerformanceCounter code, and my own timer class. I can't verify that it handles forward leaps well, because I cannot reliably get these leaps on my computer. I also included a text file with results of my counter on my computer.

Edit: please ignore comments if they don't make sense. Current timer class is a somewhat drastical redesign of the older timer I had, and I didn't put the comments in order yet.

[edited by - IndirectX on June 23, 2002 8:32:28 PM]
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
didn''t read all the posts, but maybe this could help..
http://www.mvps.org/directx/articles/implementing_steady_motion.htm
IndirectX, I didn''t see your post until today. I will try your test program tonight and let you know.

Thanks for the Help.

AP, I actually already had the printouts from the Microsoft MVP site on you desk. That is a good site, full of information.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement