Silly: developing without installing the SDK

Started by
5 comments, last by Maverick the divider 21 years, 9 months ago
Has anyone tried developing without installing the SDK, by bare files only (forget the debuging). --- Quite soon... ICQ: 163187735
---Quite soon...ICQ: 163187735
Advertisement
Are you an expert COM programmer?

Well, considering DirectX is primarily a COM interface, it is possible to get the interfaces, but you would have to use Queryinterface for everything, and you would probably have to know the IIDs for everything.

Ex: IID_DirectDraw7 = some long number

Also, you wouldn''t be able to use any of the Structures that are required by some of the functions.

Bottom line, developing without the SDK won''t get you far. You wouldn''t even be able to create the primary surface.

Good Luck
-James
Amazing how the maturity level can drop through the floor when people can hide behind the ''Anonymous Poster'' tag. Slashdot got it right when they labelled anonymous posts as ''Anonymous Coward''.

Developing without the SDK is indeed possible. All you really need are the include files and the libs. They provide you with everything you need to create an application that uses DirectX. Documentation can be downloaded separately from the full SDK.

With Delphi, all we need are the translated PAS files from Delphi-JEDI to do DirectX development. No SDK, no libs, no include files.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
Thanks for the info, almost got everything working :D

p.s. Anonymous coward - hey, they should change their names on all over the site

---
Quite soon...
---Quite soon...ICQ: 163187735
sly wrote...
"Developing without the SDK is indeed possible. All you really need are the include files and the libs. "

Then you are not developing without the SDK. The lib files and the include files ARE the SDK--everything else is just help files and tutorials.
and why was my post deleted?

to quote myself in one sentence .. (since it was removed i cant remember in detail what i said) :

"what you need is the libs and headers"

AND it got deleted, so.. who is the damn moderator who removes my posts? or more correct.. whos the fat-stupid wanker who doesnt have any life and sits and guards gamedevs forums wich in majority exists of complete dickheads who has no-life and no skills in programming whats so ever..

Let me guess... "OH NO, hes right about that.. iam a moderator without life,small dick and no friends, PLUS i know fucking nothing.. lets delete his post" ...

- stefan who now knows what gamedev is really about (low iq of big groups
--mega!--
quote:
and why was my post deleted?
to quote myself in one sentence .. (since it was removed i cant remember in detail what i said) :
"what you need is the libs and headers"

The last post, and all other ones, were deleted by me as they were off topic or flame-bait. I don''t care if you mix an answer with flaming, it will get deleted. Read the site rules - if you have a problem, then either don''t post here or keep on topic. This is a private board that has rules.

quote:
AND it got deleted, so.. who is the damn moderator who removes my posts? or more correct.. whos the fat-stupid wanker who doesnt have any life and sits and guards gamedevs forums wich in majority exists of complete dickheads who has no-life and no skills in programming whats so ever..

I deleted them.

If you have a problem with the site, then please find another one. Nobody forces you to come and post here. Why come here if you think nobody here is worthy of your attention or praise?

We hope all visiters enjoy the site. It is quite helpful to many. People come here for help, not to get picked on and flamed. For that reason, I''m deleting most of the crap that goes off topic or even has a hint of flaming. If there''s a problem with this, please email Dave or one of the other guys and let them know.

quote:
stefan who now knows what gamedev is really about (low iq of big groups

A group you proudly became a part of when you registered.

And just for everybodies information, a lot of big-time companies visit this site, scouting for talent. I have picked up a few jobs in the last two years as a result of my participation with the site, and I''d like to say "Thanks GameDev!"

Since the answer has been posted a couple times, and some people keep insisting on flaming, thread closed...

Jim Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement