Mysterious flashes

Started by
16 comments, last by Cipher2 21 years, 9 months ago
You kinda hit the bull''s eye =)

I thought I had the latest drivers. I know I have them for the geforce 3. Haven''t checked via or soundblaster in a while. There''s no sound in my current project yet so it shouldn''t happen because of the soundcard.

I recently installed the retail directx runtime because I had problems running games. So that can''t be it. Seems I have to check VIA then..

Thanx for your help! If anything else comes to mind I''d appreciate if you reply again.

Advertisement
Forgot about the cpu.. I have intel p3 667mhz and windows 98. I don''t think there are any servicepacks for them are there? I''ve tried windows update and and intel.com drivers page.

The latest soundblaster driver for my sblive! player 1024 seems to be from 26-05-2000. They are really good at updating...
didn''t have the latest via drivers but it made no difference.

Any other ideas? No one else has this problem.. it must have to do with geforce 3.
Do you have a DirectX utility on your control panel? if so ensure that retail runtime is selected. if error still occurs then I''m stumped. If it goes away it means your code has errors in (like S1CA proposed) and you need to look at the debug output from the D3D Debug runtime libraries.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
Yes, I have the directx utility and now I have reinstalled pure retail directx (so debug output cannot be chosen) since I thought the debug runtime was causing the trouble. And since my program doesn''t crash in any way and it works fine on all computers except mine it can''t have to do with d3dcalls failing.

It seems like this is a hardware issue.. strangely I have never noticed the same this in any other game. Recently released neverwinter nights has some kind of artifacts sometimes but not the same kind of flashes I get.

Do you have an idea not related to directx version or hardware drivers since I now have the latest?
I still haven''t got this working.. does anyone have another idea? I hate these flashes..

I had some strange artifacts in the role-playing game Neverwinter Nights in the beginning but after playing a while they came less and less often.. after a while they were gone.. maybe its the same in my project. Has anyone had similar problems?
Hmmm... this is a strange problem. Just a shot in the dark but are you using some sort of overclocking utility with your graphics card? (Or even your CPU)? It is quite common to see flashes and other rendering artifacts when using overclocked hardware (if you up the speed too much).

EDIT: just remembered something else, too. When I added a new harddrive, DVD-ROM and GeForce3 to one of my PC's I started noticing strange rendering problems when playing commercial games and my own projects. The problem? My power supply wasn't pumping enough juice to handle the peripherals and components. I threw in a 400 watt supply and things worked perfectly thereafter. Anyway - just thought it might be of help...

Regards,
Sharky

[edited by - Sharky on June 28, 2002 11:13:50 AM]
Thanx for your answer!

I DID use an overclocking program but from what I remember I set the speed back.. gotta check that though.. it''s a good idea.

Hmm nvmax was uninstalled and doesn''t seem to recognize my card anymore with the new drivers. This might be it!

It does work fine in other games so I don''t think its the power. But that was a good idea too! =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement