Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to use std::sort and std::list::sort?

This topic is 5650 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can someone give me an example of how to use the predicate version of either of these. I''ve tried all sorts of things and VC++ keeps throwing hundreds of errors at me. I have a class CEditorPoly, and a list of pointers std::list, which I want to sort based on the fields of CEditorPoly. One way I tried was to define a function bool PolygonCompare(const CEditorPoly*& p1, const CEditorPoly*& p2) { ... } and call std::sort(begin, end, PolygonCompare), but this gave me loads of "could not deduce template argument" errors. Cheers Cameron

In addition to do sorts without having to supply a function to do the sorting just add a operator like this:

inline bool CThread::operator < (const CThread &a_Thread)
{
return m_Schedule < a_Thread.m_Schedule;
}

Taken directly from my virtual threading code. This sorts the threads based on who needs to run next. You can do this with your ~polylist class.

HTH

Chris Brodie
http:\\fourth.flipcode.com

No, they''re references to pointers. I did this since somewhere in the stl docs to do with sorting I saw "const T&" was used as the argument type, and here T is "CEditorPoly*". Anyway, I''ve also already tried without the references, and got the errors I gave in my first post. As for operator <, I can''t seem to use it since my elements are pointers. Are you guys using VC++6 or not? Maybe thats the cause.
Basically I did exactly as IndirectX wrote in his post (with the Compare function above the sort call though) and it didn''t compile.
Any ideas why not?

Cameron