Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Extracting Triangle Fans from a Binary Triangle Tree

This topic is 5653 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anybody know how (if it's possible in the first place) to extract some triangle fans from a binary triangle tree? I have a lot of those trees, with each node holding one tri. I render those tris seperately into a display list, but I think triangle fans will be a lot faster in the rendering pipeline. Any thoughts?, thanks! edotorpedo [edited by - edotorpedo on June 23, 2002 5:35:50 PM]

I would stay away from triangle fans. Chances are, that your current traingle list might even be faster than triangle fans could ever be (if you use indexed lists). The problem are the continuous restarts a triangle fan requires - this means function call overhead in the first place and a bad vertex sharing behaviour.

If possible, try to create indexed triangle strips instead. They will give you the best efficiency. Striping might be complex, depending on detailed specifics of your B-tree. So if that doesn''t work, go for indexed triangle lists.

/ Yann

Thanks for pointing this out to me, I always thought triangle strips were the fastest way to go.

Now I went searching for triangle strips instead, and I found a very good tutorial on one of my favorite sites:

http://www.delphi3d.net/articles/viewarticle.php?article=tristrips.htm

It''s about creating triangle strips from random triangle data, just what I needed.