Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hayes Modems

This topic is 5652 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering how to dial numbers via a Hayes compatible modem under windows. I have some DOS based programs but in an effort to keep up with the itmes, I will be proting them to Windows. I have looked and turned up only info about how to do it in DOS. Please help and happy coding!

It''s remarkably similar. Remember that the commandset you used under DOS is a function of the modem, not of the OS. ATDT is still the way things are done.

As to actually using the modem, just open COM1:, COM2:, etc. There are also special Windows functions for setting serial port parameters.

quote:
Original post by Outworlder
Is that true?

If so, what is the purpose of modem drivers under windows?

Because not all modems are Hayes compatible, because you don''t have have it on a COM port (you can get USB modems for instance) because it''s easier to just tell the modem driver to "dial this number" because you only have to configure things like numbers to get an outside line, or whether it uses tone or pulse dialing in one place (i.e. the configuration properties for you modem, and not in every program which needs to use a modem).

codeka.com - Just click it.

The drivers often make extra features available to the operating system, and sometimes (as Dean said) the connection to the modem is not standard.

After that inital phase, most modems still use the AT command set and all you do is just send the commands and receive the data. If you''ve got a simple modem on a com port then get yourself a terminal package and play with typing the commands in.

E