RPG code

Started by
47 comments, last by gamechampionx 21 years, 6 months ago
Then you must be reading the wrong mags.
Beside the definition of RPG, there's a fact: They are far away from the quality of a Morrowind.

BTW: I love the "New concept of RPG"
Hack'n Slash "rp"games are certainly one of the oldest kind of games.

Same with Final Fantasy: Wowwww FF10 ! How original and new that concept is...

[edited by - Cahaan on September 25, 2002 10:07:00 AM]
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Cahaan
Then you must be reading the wrong mags.
Beside the definition of RPG, there''s a fact: They are far away from the quality of a Morrowind.

BTW: I love the "New concept of RPG"
Hack''n Slash "rp"games are certainly one of the oldest kind of games.

Same with Final Fantasy: Wowwww FF10 ! How original and new that concept is...

[edited by - Cahaan on September 25, 2002 10:07:00 AM]

The main concept of FF may not be new but the way you play the game is new. As for the mags, all of them refer to RPGs as RPGs.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com]
[Cyberdrek | ]
Sorry but I disagree. The mags I read doesn't refer them as RPG.

"Joystick" for example. (a french mag)

Well nm.. Everything is relative.

[edited by - Cahaan on September 25, 2002 10:19:07 AM]
Darkhaven Beta-test stage coming soon.
They''re still RPGs. Albiet, they are on different ends of a multi-dimensional spectrum. Diablo is definatly Hack-n-Slash with little story, which is what most junior high kids end up doing in their paper and pencil Dungeons and Dragons games. Final Fantasy is definatly linear, but there is story and character development, which are important factors in role playing games, if not the main factors. Diablo has statistical development, and less emphasis on actual character development.

A great book to read about the history of cRPGs and how to design them is Swords and Circuitry in Prima Tech''s Game Development series. It''s written by Neal Hallford and edited by Andre LaMothe. No coding in the book at all, just design info. I reccomend it to everyone who wants to write cRPGs.

£§
£§
Guys, thanks for the help!

I do what you suggested, as soon as someone explains what this std:: stuff means. I do not yet understand the :: thing.

Also, do those strings work like VB strings??

Thanks.

BTW, I am building my site, with source and everything at:
www.angelifre.com/wizard/qotf

So, if you''re interreted, check up the site, not built yet though.
Check out Drunken Brawl at http://www.angelfire.com/games6/drunken_brawl!
std is the C++ standard namespace for library functions. Perhaps some research on namespaces would help here. Everything like iostream and so on goes in there by default.

PS: Everyone else - drop the "what is an RPG" argument. Take it to Game Design if it really matters that much to you (which it shouldn''t.)

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files | My stuff ]
Check out nethack. Its an textbased rpg, source code available.
Thanks for the source, but my game does not use graphics like that- it''s pure text descriptions.
By the way, my current source is available at my web site: www.angelfire.com/wizard/qotf. I fixed the mentioned error, and will update the code again within a few days.

[edited by - gamechampionx on September 29, 2002 4:34:28 PM]

[edited by - gamechampionx on September 29, 2002 4:35:15 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement