2d game?

Started by
8 comments, last by -someone- 21 years, 9 months ago
hi, i was wondering what u need to make a 2d game?(supplies) e.g. open gl? dx? i know u need c++ tho.
Advertisement
Use directx 8 for 2D, opengl for 3D - opengl is hard to use in 2D.

BTW: flame bait
I tried to code, but the compiler kept giving me an error: stupid coder alert.hpotter2
do u know any good dx teaching books? or something online for beginners?
do u know any good dx teaching books? or something online for beginners?
NeXe???

Stick
Game Programming All in One, by Bruno Sousa

teaches c++ too
I tried to code, but the compiler kept giving me an error: stupid coder alert.hpotter2
DirectX:

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre LaMothe

Yeah, it has problems, but as a newbie, I''ve found it to be invaluable as far as figuring out DirectX (in particular, DirectDraw)
Peon

you could use SDL. I think you''ll get things set up quicker
and easier than with DX.

You don''t need C++. There are other programming languages.

John B
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
It is not so hard to use opengl in 2d,you have just to draw quads , using the sprite as texture.
It has even some advantages.
For example you can easily design a 2d\3d game.
2d models characters moving in a static 3d world , same as the old Doom , I mean.
you avoid the difficulties of handling 3d key-frame or, even worse, skeleton animation but you have the benefit of 3d.
Suppose the 2d sprite moves towards the z axis, the resizing of the sprite is automatic and the feet of the models are alwayes on the floor.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement