Windows Opengl 1.1->1.3

Started by
8 comments, last by AndyTang 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi, Anyone know if we can start programming Opengl 1.3 stuff in Windows, Visual C++? Also, does anyone know of anyplace to download the updated Opengl documentation? The one inside MSDN of Visual Studio 5 is a bit out of date I think, only 1.1. Thanks
Advertisement
Wow did you step into this one...

Nope, Microsoft has only created the 1.1 implementation of OpenGL on Windows...no "official" news from them on 1.3, but due to their invested interest in Direct3D, I wouldn''t wait for it.

The best you''re gonna get is to use (ugh) the extension mechanism to use any of the 1.3 gear..

hth,
Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
Under Windows, new OpenGL developments are supported by drivers from video card manufacturers. For example, my GeForce3 Ti-500 supports the 1.3 implementation through the latest nVidia drivers. You can use glGetString() to determine the current gl implementation your hardware supports.

As far as docs go, you can read the spec on nVidia's website. I also usually have the most recent version of the Blue Book (OpenGL Reference Manual) handy. It is a good resource for looking up your most often used functions.

[edited by - jeeky on June 23, 2002 11:08:05 PM]
You just gotta be carefull about using extensions though if you want people with different video hardware to play your game..

IIRC the extension mechanism locks you into a vendor specific situation doesn''t it?

The last time I checked (maybe it''s changed, I''ve been away), ATI doesn''t support the same extensions as NVidia and vice versa..

So you do a nice job of coding a new special effect for 1.3 using Nvidia''s vertex buffering mechanism....only to find out that someone else with an ATI card can''t use it, and spits on your title..

Learn about game programming!Games Programming in C++: Start to Finish
quote:Original post by wazoo69
Wow did you step into this one...

Nope, Microsoft has only created the 1.1 implementation of OpenGL on Windows...no "official" news from them on 1.3, but due to their invested interest in Direct3D, I wouldn''t wait for it.

The best you''re gonna get is to use (ugh) the extension mechanism to use any of the 1.3 gear..

hth,

I hope that microsoft at least do something with OpenGL 2.0 that is around the corner. >

Regards,
Mathematix.
quote:Original post by Mathematix
I hope that microsoft at least do something with OpenGL 2.0 that is around the corner. >

you can bet they wont, why would they when they are pressing DX, however they cant make it not install on a windows machine, so all 3DLabs etc have to do is come up with a DLL to link to an ICD as is currently done, and produce a set of libs/header files for the dll which will work with the compilers, make a small OGL SDK with these files in, make the ogl20.dll redistubeable or make the gfx card venders do it, and problem sorted

mmmh, does that mean Opengl games such as ID''s Doom 3 only uses Opengl 1.1 with extensions?

Thats really interesting. I''m surprise Carmark still sticks to Opengl but then again he knows the in''s and out''s I guess.
There''s nothing bad in using extension mechanism.

I''ve written a small lib to simplify extention handling to 1 function:

http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~uli2

Here''s a good intro to extensions:
http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/features/OGLextensions/OGLextensions.html

extension specifications can be found here:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/ogl-sample/registry/

wazoo69: you _can_ use vendor-specific extension, but nobody forces you to do that. You can use the extension mechanims to load opengl 1.2 and 1.3 core features.

Cheers,
-Lev
quote:Original post by AndyTang
mmmh, does that mean Opengl games such as ID''s Doom 3 only uses Opengl 1.1 with extensions?

Doom3 uses quiet a few Nvidia and ATI extensions depending on which card you have, it probably does have a pure 1.1 full back, but it wont look anywhere near as nice.

quote:
Thats really interesting. I''m surprise Carmark still sticks to Opengl but then again he knows the in''s and out''s I guess.

yep, thats why he uses it, otherwise he''d have to learn all the tricks he learnt in OGL over again for D3D
quote:Original post by _the_phantom_

you can bet they wont, why would they when they are pressing DX, however they cant make it not install on a windows machine, so all 3DLabs etc have to do is come up with a DLL to link to an ICD as is currently done, and produce a set of libs/header files for the dll which will work with the compilers, make a small OGL SDK with these files in, make the ogl20.dll redistubeable or make the gfx card venders do it, and problem sorted

Quick! Mail this to Microsoft! :D

Regards,
Mathematix.

[edited by - mathematix on June 25, 2002 8:59:17 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement