Flying and level advancement

Started by
3 comments, last by Dev_Master 21 years, 9 months ago
I have a little problem that hopefully someone can help me with. I am in the design phase of a game, One of my Ideas is that the main character in the game be able to fly. But I dont want to make the game too easy, I dont want the player to just fly over obstacles and enemies, or get to places that they shouldnt have advanced to so soon. I want my game to be completely open, with no invisible walls blocking players. Thats not very realistic, does anyone have any creative solutions to limit the mobility of the player while keeping the game open? [edited by - Dev_Master on June 23, 2002 11:39:44 PM]
Advertisement
Why not a kind of "energy" resource that the player will have to deal with ?

------
GameDev''er 4 ever.
------GameDev'er 4 ever.
I have 2 suggestions:

1. Make the player a glider rather than a flyer, so they have to jump and glide, either from a height or with a "jump" button. This puts the problem in terrain placement rather than having to come up with an artificial "you can''t do that" excuse.

2. Make the player actively work to gain height. If you''ve played Summoner, think of how the chains were done, and apply that to the flying. As the height/distance increases, the player''s time window to tap the button narrows.

Without knowing what kind of game this is, or even what the controls are like, this is the best advice I can offer
Similarly, you could make the air density descrease as you go further up, making flying more difficult, and hence imposing a natural height limit.
These are good ideas...

You can impose startling mountains as realistic terrain, which would actually help you bound your level. Then you could place tunnels to other map areas and have an access system.

For local obstacles, you could create EXTRAORDINARILY accurate surface to air batteries in some places. The player would then have to land to deal with the local threats before proceeding. (If you make this optional, then the player could use skill and risk trying to get through).

You could make very effective air defense forces, just as modern nations have to do in order to keep aircraft out of their airspace.

You could add artificial storms, which serve to do damage the further you move into them. This is also a kind of terrain.

But like AP said, that''s about the best I can offer without more details on what you''re aiming for.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement