Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating 2D games with DirectX 8......

This topic is 5651 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve been learning DirectX 7 and making different small "test" games all in 2D and I was thinking about upgrading to DirectX 8,.....that is, until I learned (correct me if I''m wrong) that DirectDraw has been thrown into Direct3D and all the graphics part is now based on Direct3D? Now I am not interested in making 3D games at all, but I would assume that DirectX 8 performs better than the previous versions. Is there a "normal" way to make 2D games with DirectX 8 or do I have to learn how to use Direct3D and cheat to emulate 2D? If so, what resources are out there for doing 2D graphics with DirectX 8 (books, online tutorials,...etc)? Thanks.

You can use the ID3DXSpite interface to do all your 2d stuff. its really easy. heres a link for an article on it. and there are more on 2d in d3d in the articles section.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1608.asp

anyway you would go about creating the interface like this...

ID3DXSprite* pSprite;
D3DXCreateSprite(pD3DDevice, &pSprite);
//now you have the sprite interface in pSprite and can use it to access teh different member functions of the sprite interface.

pSprite->Draw(blah...) is the actual drawing function. use it to draw stuff. your sprite drawing has to be in between a call to
pSprite->Begine(); and pSprite->End();
after you download teh dx8 sdk, check the docs for the details..

later