Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Prototyping Tools

This topic is 5649 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all! I would be interested if anybody of you has experiences in using prototyping tools (ala Virtools Dev, DarkBasic, 3D GameStudio) for professional game development (AAA titles)? Is it worth considering some of them (e.g. Virtools) for not only (gameplay-, gamemechanics-) prototyping but even as full blown game engines? Any suggestions, tips, experiences? Thanks in advance!

I don''t know Virtools Dev, but I have tried both Darkbasic and 3D Gamestudio.

Darkbasic is too weak to be used for serious prototyping or professional game development. I wouldn''t use it.

3D Gamestudio is much better. It is excellent for prototyping 3D applications and can even be used to make some pretty advanced apps. I wouldn''t delude myself into thinking that it can be used for AAA-titles directly but plenty of non-AAA commercial titles has been made with it, so if you are just a single (or a couple) of programmers I can heartedly recommend it if you want to focus on the actual content of creating games instead of all the technical low-level issues.

You might also consider the Torque engine SDK from Garage Games. For a hundred bucks you get the complete source for an updated version of the Tribes2 engine.

Compare that to something like Gamestudio, for which you''d pay $200 for the "commercial" edition if you wanted any useful features. 3DGS is a less advanced engine and also a black box, meaning you do not get source code.

The downside to Torque is that if you intend to release something made with it, you can only publish through them. However, as a prototyping tool you''re not going to find much out there that''s more cost effective than $100 for this kind of technology.