Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiling perlin noise

This topic is 5648 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there any way to change perlin noise algoritem to create tiling noise? So far I''ve been doing something like this: Simple 1D example, x in range 0..1: result(x) = (1-x)*noise(x) + x*nosie(1-x); I''m trying to make as much perlin noise on GPU as possible with something like: -generate 2 or 3 octaves of noise on CPU and use it as small base texture -bind this texture on all texture units -add them together using something like : tex0(u,v) + 0.5*tex1(u*2,v*2) + 0.25*tex2(u*4,v*4) + ... but it looks *realy* wierd when using non-tiling base texture. Yann L: in "Sky-rendering techniques" thread you wrote you use something simmilar for generating clouds. It''s a simmilar problem. How did you handle it? Any help would be welcome! You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

quote:

Yann L: in "Sky-rendering techniques" thread you wrote you use something simmilar for generating clouds. It''s a simmilar problem. How did you handle it? Any help would be welcome!

Obviously, your base textures need to be perfectly tilable, otherwise you''ll get very weird results. This can be extremly simple to very complex, depending on the noise algorithm. Eg. getting fBm to tile can be very hard, but it''s incredibly simple with the common ''interpolated random noise'' Perlin approximation. What method of noise generation do you use to create the base textures (what are the specifics of your noise() function) ?

And BTW: it will look better, if you bind a different base texture on each texture unit, the look will be more random.

/ Yann

I''m using standard perlin noise as described by Ken Perlin in his paper. I added stuff he stated in "Improving Noise" paper (new interpolation function and new gradients tabele). I can post code here if you want. What is "interpolated random noise"? Just some low-res noise scaled up with interpolation to make it look a bit better?

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.